Private tour of Maramures, starting at 180 EUR/person/day
Maramures, the ultimate bucolic nest of Europe
Escape modernity, in comfort, on a discovery journey through wild landscapes and enchanting villages. Witness a way of life that has disappeared from almost every corner of Europe and experience some of the finest hospitality anywhere on the continent.
WHY VISIT MARAMURES
If you’re longing for sense, purpose, archaic essences and values “craft”-fully mixed with fairytale landscapes and unadulterated people and tastes, then make Maramures your home for a few days.
This terra incognita, separated from the rest of Romania by a crescent of mountains and a plethora of beliefs and traditions, is the perfect escape from neurotic modernity into a genuinely old time, where the delicate balance between man and nature still holds.
Uncover the charm and spiritual side of this corner of Romania on truly unforgettable, culture packed private tours of Maramures. You’ll see the very best of this unexplored swath of continental Europe as we unlock the doors to a host of amazing experiences.
WHAT’S IN STORE FOR YOU
Start off in vibrant Cluj where you’ll be immersed in the city’s exciting and artistic blend of old meets new. Next we’ll whisk you north, away from the urban hubs and into a bubble of villages and river valleys where the people of the land preserved a bucolic way of life in a landscape so little altered by the incursions of industrial modernity.
We’ll take you along back roads threaded between dromedary hills and wildflower meadows dotted with haystacks and pricked with wooden church spires. You will meet traditional artisans, old-school craftsmen and unreconstructed farmers, bake and break bread with the local families and find peace and serenity in some of the most beautiful UNESCO-listed churches in Maramures.
And, in case you oenophiles and foodies were starting to wonder: yes, you will sample some of the freshest and most delicious organic meals pared with the best of the local wines in some of the most charming traditional guesthouses.
- D1: Cluj
- D2: Cluj – Banffy Castle – Beclean – Sacel – Viseu de Sus (3h30 drive)
- D3: Viseu de Sus – Ieud – Poienile Izei – Barsana – Vadu Izei (2h drive)
- D4: Vadu Izei – Sighetu Marmatiei – Sapanta – Breb (1h30 drive)
- D5: Breb
- D6: Breb – Targu Lapus – Rohia – Cluj (3h drive)
*Driving times don’t include stops.
Please note that this is merely an itinerary suggestion, the backbone of a possible tour. We don’t do one-size-fits-all trips, we design the experience for you from the scratch when we know the length of your trip and what sparks your interest. Culinary discoveries, plant foraging, horse-riding, biking, hiking, local events, traditional crafts, wine tastings, architecture, you name it and we’ll arrange it. We have a nice and customisable selection of activities that we’ve gathered by doing our own research, a few of them are listed right here under Optional Extras.
- Private airport transfers and transportation throughout your tour in a modern air-conditioned car
- Professional English speaking guide – driver
- Accommodation based on sharing room in some of the most charming boutique hotels and traditional houses in the area
- Half board meal and beverage plan (breakfast and lunch or dinner)
- Water during the day
- Entrance fees to museums and churches
- Personal shopping
- Other beverages than those included in the half board plan and presented on the table
- Travel insurance
- Visas (if required)
- Optional extras
Maramures will bewilder and charm you regardless of the length and depth of your journey, but it will win your heart for good if you take the time to dig deeper and connect the right dots. Below are some add-on ingredients to spice up your trip:
- Traditional home cooking class in a small village, where you’ll learn to cook like a local.
- Dinner in a local home with a local family
- Workshops in the fine art of pottery, wood carving, beaded jewellery, weaving and traditional masks making.
- Medicinal plants, wild fruit or mushroom foraging, depending on the season.
- Visit to a local plum brandy distillery to taste and learn how it is done.
- Panoramic picnic with organic local delicacies and seasonal produce. A local folk musician may enhance the experience if you wish so.
- Hiking in the scenic mountains nearby.
- Light walking in the fields and beautiful countryside.
- Horse-drawn carts or sleigh rides.
- Romania Private Tours is all about bespoke experiences, so don’t think of this as a “prêt-à-porter” itinerary, but as a blueprint of one of the countless possibilities. To find out more, get in touch with us for a tailor-made trip based on your budget and interests.
- Please note that all our tours of Romania are private and we may stop along the way as often as you desire, for you to visit a site, take a stunning photo or simply engage with the people of the land.
- The optimal duration of a tour is min. 3 nights.
- Group size: min.2, max.6 persons
- Price varies according to the number of persons and it starts at 180 EUR/person/day and it includes the services mentioned under WHAT IS INCLUDED.
TAKE A PEEK
Ready to reboot and recharge?
We caught the travel bug at a very young age and we were travel junkies before becoming travel professionals. We experienced the highs and lows of this “addiction” and we’ve learned what ropes to pull to spike the ups and ditch the downs. Besides, Romania is our backyard: we’ve breathed it, known it, loved it since we were born. What makes us experts is the combination of both. We put ourselves in your shoes and we use our insider knowledge to make them fit.
You certainly can, if you have the time and you don’t mind the little imperfections. In theory, anyone can do that, just as anyone can fix something to eat to ease his hunger. But planning a fabulous trip, in perfect harmony with your time, budget, interests and expectations requires expertise, timing and time. If you’re short on any of the above and don’t want to risk blowing your trip, then hiring the right people is the best investment.
If you’re a family (ideally smaller than Ziona Chana’s) or a group of friends, the answer is yes. Just tell us the group size and what your interests are and we’ll design a memorable journey.
To ensure a smooth and uneventful tour we’ve learned that it’s paramount to be in control of all ingredients, hotels being one of them. That being said, we will offer you several options, if available, leaving you the final call.
Unfortunately not. All of our tours are private and tailor-made.
Booking flights is not our area of expertise, but we can gladly advise you on the best way to get to Romania or refer you to a specialised agency.
We recommend that you seek the assistance of a qualified insurance broker in your country of residence.
Planning Your Journey Begins with a Conversation
First, we’ll discuss your needs and expectations, then provide an approximate per-person per-day cost for the journey.
Questions to Consider
- How many people are you traveling with?
- What are your special interests? (e.g., wildlife, trekking, visiting cultural sites)
- What are your comfort and style requirements?
- Are there any special considerations that might affect our planning? (e.g., financial or medical, a special celebration) etc.
Itinerary Development Fee
After our initial conversation, if you would like our team to proceed with planning your trip and creating a customised itinerary, we will require receipt of an Itinerary Development Fee of 200 euros. Because of the time and attention we put into handcrafting each journey, this fee serves as an agreement that you are dedicated to working with Romania Private Tours. This fee will be credited toward your final balance, but is not refundable should you decide to cancel.
Once we have received this fee, we can fine-tune each detail of the adventure to your heart’s content.
After we have received your itinerary development fee, we will propose a specific itinerary with the dates or date range based on your availability. We will be ready to discuss itinerary details and will continue to make adjustments based on your feedback. Once you have approved the proposed itinerary, we will reserve space at the chosen hotels and provide you with an exact trip cost. We can still continue to fine-tune until you’re completely comfortable with the itinerary.
Confirmation, Deposit, and Invoice
Once you have approved the itinerary and price, we will book all your arrangements with an additional per-person deposit (30% of trip cost). We will then send a detailed invoice to you.
Sixty (60) days before departure, the balance of the invoice is due. After we have received all payments, your final itinerary, trip briefing will be sent approximately three weeks prior to departure.
Cancellation instructions from you must be in writing (email or post) to us and will be effective on the day we receive them.
As we incur costs from the time of your booking, the following cancellation charges will be applied. Cancellation charges apply as a percentage of the total trip price, as follows:
- Over 61 days prior to trip start date – Deposit only
- Between 31 – 60 days prior trip start date – 70%
- Less than 14 days to trip start date – 100%
For full pricing and payment details, please read our Terms & Conditions.